Diablo Canyon Power Plant
Welcome to Diablo Canyon
Diablo Canyon Power Plant is a safe, clean, reliable and vital energy resource for California. The plant provides low-cost, carbon-free electricity for more than three million people and plays a key role in allowing PG&E to deliver some of the cleanest energy in the nation to its customers. Click on the links below to learn more about Diablo Canyon’s operations and license extension process.
A Vital Economic Engine
PG&E’s Diablo Canyon Power Plant is a vital local economic engine and brings significant benefits to San Luis Obispo and Northern Santa Barbara counties.
- Diablo Canyon contributed $919.8 million to the region in 2011 (direct, indirect and induced benefits).
- Diablo Canyon helps to make PG&E the largest private employer in the area with more than 1,400 workers and a payroll of $202 million in 2011.
- Diablo Canyon spent $22 million locally in 2011 on goods and services.
- The plant is the largest property taxpayer in San Luis Obispo County - $25 million for the fiscal year 2011/2012 which helps fund schools, pubic work projects, public safety, and health and other vital services.
A Good Neighbor
At PG&E, we pride ourselves in doing more than just a job – we strive to provide the best service to our customers and remain good neighbors to the communities in which we work and live. Diablo Canyon is no exception.
- In 2011, PG&E made charitable contributions of approximately $1,100,000 to more than 90 nonprofit organizations in San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties.
- PG&E employees volunteered more than 31,000 of their personal time to after-school athletic programs, environmental organizations, churches and other community organizations.
- In 2011, PG&E employees contributed more than $429,100 to nonprofit organizations in San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties through the company’s “Campaign for the Community” program. Those contributions to educational and environmental organizations were matched by PG&E.
Taking Care of the Environment
Nuclear power plants like Diablo Canyon emit no greenhouse gasses during the production of electricity.
- Diablo Canyon is located on one of the most scenic and habitat-rich coastlines in the country. It is surrounded by roughly 12,000 acres of land that is managed by PG&E and largely maintained in a natural state as a home to many species of plant and animal wildlife that thrive on land, as well as in the ocean and intertidal zones. PG&E’s responsible stewardship of this precious natural resource allows for scientists and others to explore its habitat and ecology.
- Power produced at Diablo Canyon adds to the region’s energy diversity, reducing dependence on a single source of electricity.
Diablo Canyon Newsroom
- Diablo Canyon Unit 2 Safely Returns To Full Power After One Of Most Successful Refuelings In Plant History
- PG&E Senior Vice President Appointed to National Nuclear Accrediting Board
- Diablo Canyon Power Plant Begins Scheduled Maintenance and Refueling Outage on Unit 2
- PG&E to Hold Poster and Information Session During NRC Open House
- View all News Releases