Pre-Employment Testing Program
Industrial Skills Tests (IST)
The Industrial Skills Tests (IST) are a set of three timed multiple-choice test components designed to measure some of the principal cognitive abilities necessary for successful job performance in mechanical-related and industrial jobs. These positions often involve interaction with tools, machines, and physical devices.
Examples include manufacturing assembly positions, operations and process management jobs involving machinery, warehouse positions, repair and maintenance positions, construction work, and firefighting. No prior job knowledge or experience in such positions is required to complete any of the test components in the IST series.
The IST series consists of the following three test components:
IST-1A - Reading Comprehension
This 25-item, 30-minute test consists of brief written passages using scenarios, contexts, and language relevant to industrial settings. The test was designed to measure the ability to read and comprehend written instructions no more complex than those commonly encountered in basic industrial and mechanical jobs.
IST-2A - Working with Numbers, Charts, and Graphs
This 25-item, 30-minute test presents information in the form of tables and graphs. The test-taker must extract the appropriate information or draw the appropriate conclusions from the information presented. The test also includes basic math word problems.
IST-3C - Mechanical Principles
This 36-item, 20-minute test measures the understanding of basic physical and mechanical concepts relevant for a range of industrial and mechanical jobs. The test-taker is presented with drawings of physical and mechanical scenarios, and is asked questions regarding the properties of the system or how it will react to specific changes. The items assess mechanical aptitude without requiring any formal education in the areas of physics or mechanics.
Work Orientation Inventory (WOI)
The WOI is a test that measures Customer Service, Teamwork, Safety and Driving Behaviors. This test consists of 156 multiply choice questions and the time allowed for this test is 45 minutes. The test consists of five sections:
- The first section contains questions about your experiences and work style.
- The second section asks you to read statements and indicate whether you agree or disagree with them.
- The third section requires you to choose the response that best describes you.
- The fourth section contains questions about your driving behaviors.
- The last section contains statements for you to read and decide how strongly you agree or disagree with each statement.
Clerical Test Battery (CTB)
The CTB consists of five tests with the following tasks:
- Language Skills- Recognize correct spelling, punctuation, capitalization, grammar, and usage. There is a 5 minute time limit.
- Computation – Add, subtract, multiply, and divide with whole numbers, simple fractions, percents and decimals. There is a 5 minute time limit.
- Problem Solving – Solve word problems requiring arithmetic computations. There is a 10 minute time limit.
- Coding – “Code” information according to a set of rules. There is a 5 minute time limit.
- Visual Speed & Accuracy – Compare lists of numbers, letters, or symbols and find the differences or errors. There is a 5 minute time limit.
Physical Test Battery (PTB)
The PTB consists of two tests:
- Numerical Ability – measures ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide with whole numbers, decimals, and fractions. There is a 10 minute time limit for all 3 parts.
- Space Visualization– measures ability to visualize forms in space and to manipulate objects mentally (count the blocks). There is a 5 minute time limit.