Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Red Bluff Manufactured Gas Plant
PG&E is working to address environmental impacts at the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) at 600 Rio Street in Red Bluff, California. The MGP operated from 1874 to 1947. PG&E acquired and operated the plant from 1919 until its closure. All MGP equipment and facilities were removed by 1949 and PG&E sold the property in 1959, three years before a motel was built on-site.
The motel operated until PG&E repurchased the property in 2010. PG&E removed the motel buildings in 2011 to facilitate investigation and future remediation work. The site has been fenced off since the buildings were removed. All work is being conducted voluntarily by PG&E and is being overseen by the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC).
Investigation work took place at the site between 2009 and 2012 to determine the extent of MGP residues left in soil, soil gas (air in between soil particles) and groundwater. A draft cleanup plan (called a draft Remedial Action Plan or RAP) is currently being finalized and will be available for public review in 2014, and it will be posted below once available. DTSC will consider and respond to all public comments received prior to approving the cleanup plan.
PG&E will continue to keep the community informed about this project through fact sheets, work notices and other outreach, as appropriate.
Site-related documents can also be found at:
Tehama County Library - Reference Desk, 645 Madison Street, Red Bluff
(530-527-0604 ext. 105)