Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Salinas Manufactured Gas Plant
PG&E is working to address environmental impacts at the site of a former manufactured gas plant (MGP) at 2 Bridge Street (formerly Pajaro Street) near downtown Salinas, California. The MGP operated from 1873 to 1929. PG&E acquired the MGP in 1927 and operated it through 1929. The plant was decommissioned in 1934. In 1962, PG&E subdivided the property into four parcels. Only one small parcel was retained, which remains in service as a gas regulator station. The remaining three parcels were sold to industrial buyers. In 2012, PG&E repurchased one of the parcels it originally sold to expedite the site investigation work. All work is being conducted voluntarily by PG&E and is being overseen by the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC).
From 2011 to 2013, PG&E conducted site investigation work to determine the extent of MGP impacts to soil, soil gas and groundwater. Based on investigation results, a cleanup plan is being prepared.
PG&E will continue to keep the community informed about this project through fact sheets, work notices and other outreach, as appropriate.
- Final Remedial Investigation Report – September 2013
- DTSC Final Remedial Investigation Report Approval Letter – November 2013 (PDF, 314 KB)
- DTSC Resources & Contact Information
Site-related documents can also be found at:
Cesar Chavez Library, Sherwood School, 110 S. Wood Street, Salinas, CA 93905, (831) 809-8050