Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Santa Rosa Manufactured Gas Plant
A former manufactured gas plant (MGP) historically operated near the corner of First Street and Santa Rosa Avenue in Santa Rosa, California starting in 1876. PG&E acquired and operated the former Santa Rosa MGP from 1908 until 1924, at which time the plant was closed and dismantled. The site later operated as a natural gas distribution center. PG&E sold the property in 1987. Today the site is the location of an office building parking lot.
Under the oversight of the North Coast Regional Water Quality Control Board (Water Board) and the Santa Rosa Fire Department (SRFD), PG&E has completed several phases of remediation at the site and is currently developing plans to address the remaining impacts.
Recently, PG&E completed a phase of site cleanup, conducted from 2008 to 2013, which included the removal of 55,000 gallons of liquid coal tar using electrical resistance heating technology and disposal of 1300 tons of soil containing former gas plant residues.
PG&E has submitted two feasibility studies to the Water Board for long-term protection of groundwater. Both feasibility studies considered construction of a barrier between the site and Santa Rosa Creek, involving a large, in-creek construction effort over multiple years. This intrusive work would create a variety of impacts to the surrounding community, including shutting down the Prince Memorial Greenway for an extended period of time.
Given the potential impacts of the barrier construction to the community and because current site conditions are stable and groundwater impacts are limited and not migrating to the Creek, the Water Board concluded that PG&E should consider less intrusive remedies to protect groundwater. PG&E is revising the current feasibility study and will submit it for Water Board and SRFD review in fall 2014. The public will have an opportunity to review the revised feasibility study and provide comments to the Water Board before a final remedy is selected.
- Water Board Response Letter to Draft Creek Barrier FS – April 2014 (PDF, 1.2 MB)
- Draft Creek Barrier Feasibility Study – September 2013 (3.13.PDF, 5.1 MB)
- Press Democrat: PG&E is Committed to Cleanup in Downtown Santa Rosa, April 2013
- Currents Article: Santa Rosa - PG&E Making Progress on Cleanup of Century-Old Gas Plant
- Final Supplemental Feasibility Study, April 2012 (PDF, 12.5 MB)
- Draft Feasibility Study Informational Notice, July 2010 (PDF, 298 KB) (2010.PDF, 298 KB)
- Regional Water Board Resources & Contact Information
- Informational Notice, July 2010 (PDF, 298 KB)