Manufactured Gas Plants
Former Selma Manufactured Gas Plant
History: The former Selma manufactured gas plant (MGP) operated from 1889 to 1930 at 2139 Sylvia Street in Selma, California. The site resides in a commercial/residential area. Selma Gas and Electric Company originally ran the MGP until the San Joaquin Power and Light Company took over in 1910. PG&E acquired the assets of the San Joaquin Power and Light Company in 1938, which included the former Selma MGP. PG&E has used this site as a service yard and customer service office since 1962. Several phases of investigation were performed at the site to help determine the extent of remediation that was necessary for soil and groundwater.
Overview: In August 2012, environmental remediation work at the site was completed. This work is part of a voluntary program under the oversight of the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC). The six-month-long project involved the removal of impacted soil beneath the footprint of the MGP site. The property continues to be used as a PG&E service center.
Community Benefits: Some benefits of the project included the construction of a new asphalt parking lot and the repaving portions of surrounding public streets and perimeter sidewalks.
Sustainability: Sustainable practices are important to PG&E. To the greatest extent possible, we try to reduce our carbon footprint on environmental remediation projects. On this project we were able to recycle 3,546 tons of material, reuse 259 tons of material on-site, reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 20.2 tons, contribute $872,259 to the local economy and provide jobs to two local community members.
Site-related documents can also be found at:
Selma Branch Library, 2200 Selma Street, Selma (559-896-3393)