Selecting the right contractor is one of the most important decisions you’ll need to make when installing a generating system. Below are some tips to help you make an informed decision: For additional tips and information about hiring a contractor, visit the Contractors' State License Board (CSLB) website
. You can also check with your local Better Business Bureau
to see if the contractor you are exploring has any active complaints against them.
- Interview a minimum of three potential contractors and obtain written bids from each one for comparison (PDF, 185 KB).
- Verify that the contractor's license is current and active with the CSLB. It is also important to make sure they hold the proper type of license required to get the job done.
- Ensure all quotes for the project are in writing and only sign after fully understanding the terms and making sure the costs are within reason.
- Never provide more than 10% of the system cost for an up-front deposit and do not make final payment until the system is installed and operating properly.
- Do not hesitate to ask the contractor questions about their business, the system or anything you may not understand.
- Request references from previous customers to ensure they are satisfied and the systems are performing properly.