Households with an individual(s) who has a serious illness or condition that could become life threatening if electric or gas service is disconnected are entitled to an in-person visit from PG&E representative within 48 hours prior to disconnection, or at the time of disconnection for nonpayment. Upon notifying PG&E, this status will remain on your PG&E account for 90 days.
If you believe that you or your household member's illness or condition will extend beyond 90 days, please fill out the vulnerable application form to request a one year extension.
PG&E recognizes the impact of these difficult economic times on our customers and we are committed to providing solutions for those who may have fallen behind on their bills, particularly our vulnerable customers. We offer many ways to help customers with their energy bills, including:
- financial assistance programs to help customers get one-time help to pay bills, balance their payments over the course of a year or establish a payment plan to catch up on late bills;
- the California Alternative Rates for Energy program(CARE), which offers a minimum of twenty percent discount for customers who qualify as low income;
- an Energy Savings Assistance Program(ESAP), which provides free weatherization services for income-qualified customers; and,
- automatic payment service (APS), which allows payments to be deducted directly from a checking account of your choice.
For instructions and how to apply for Vulnerable Customer status, download, print, and submit to PG&E the application document below.
Vulnerable Customer Application (PDF, 46 KB)
- Receive a monthly discount on your energy bill.
Enroll in CARE
- Receive a monthly discount on your electric bill if you live in a household of three or more persons.
Enroll in FERA
- PG&E provides a Medical Baseline Allowance for residential customers who have special energy needs related to a medical condition. Qualification for this program is not income based.
Apply for Medical Baseline
- Offers improvements to your house, apartment or mobile home including compact fluorescent lights, caulking, showerheads, minor home repair and more.
Enroll in Energy Savings Assistance Program
You may be eligible to enroll in a one-time payment assistance program to help you get through your current financial hardship.
Relief for Energy Assistance through Community Help (REACH)
REACH is a one-time energy-assistance program sponsored by PG&E and administered by The Salvation Army from 170 offices in northern and central California. REACH helps income qualified customers who have experienced an uncontrollable or unforeseen hardship that are unable to pay for their energy needs. Eligible customers may receive an energy credit up to $200, credit amount based on the past due amount of the bill. REACH assistance may be available once within an 18 month period, but exceptions can be made for seniors, the physically challenged or the terminally ill.
Click here for more information.
Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
LIHEAP is a federally funded assistance program overseen by the California Department of Community Services and Development (CSD) and administered by 48 Action Agencies throughout California. LIHEAP offers two types of assistance.
- Financial aid to help a customer offset the cost of heating or cooling their home
- Home weatherization
We partner with organizations that work in your community. Priority will be given to families who meet the following criteria:
- Families who spend a high percentage of their income on energy and/or have elderly or disabled members
- Families with children under three years of age
To learn more, dial 211 for LIHEAP income guidelines and a list of participating agencies or visit CSD.
Help even out the highs and lows of your monthly bills.
Using BPP, your bills will be more equal throughout the year instead of spiking when it’s really hot or cold outside. It’s predictable and easier on your budget.
Learn More here
If you’re having trouble paying your PG&E bill, we will work with you to set up flexible and convenient payment arrangements that can help you avoid service disconnection.
To request a payment arrangement today, simply login to My Energy or call our service representatives at 1-800-PGE-5000.
For general questions, please contact PG&E's Customer Service Center at
Breathe Easy Solutions
PG&E is dedicated to assisting customers through numerous programs and community outreach projects.
Learn More >>
Service Shut off for Non-Pay Learn more about the many steps we take to work with our customers and our "outreach process before disconnect".
Third Party Notification For a friend or relative who could overlook paying his or her PG&E bill because of illness, financial hardship or other issues. Learn More >>
We Connect A national program that connects families to programs and services that can help them get ahead. Learn More >>